Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is D800/E in DX mode A Reasonable Substitute For D400?

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10636 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Is D800/E in DX mode A Reasonable Substitute For D400?"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Mon 15-Oct-12 04:24 PM

I tend to agree with Perrone. DX mode is fine in terms of image size - equivalent to a D7000 - but framing the image in the viewfinder is a nuisance. The viewfinder is full sized with a line to indicate the DX crop. That means your viewfinder is less magnified than normal and much smaller - nearly half the size of the FX view.

I had a problem with my 24-70 lens last week and chose to use my D7000 backup rather than my 16-85 on the D800. I would only use a DX lens on an FX body in an emergency or special situation.

Now the D800 is a better camera than the D600. I have both and the D600 is small in the hand - like the D7000 - and has a less advanced AF system. The disadvantage of the D800 is potentially frame rate - if you shoot bursts at critical action. If you are timing the key action and have one image at the critical time, the D800 is fine. So frame rate is a matter of style.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops - Smokies Oct 2012

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

A general, generic topic Is D800/E in DX mode A Reasonable Substitute For D400? [View all] , jim thomas Silver Member , Sun 14-Oct-12 01:09 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Is D800/E in DX mode A Reasonable Substitute For D4...