Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is Melville capable of fixing the D800 AF issues yet?

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Is Melville capable of fixing the D800 AF issues yet?"

chroaz Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Apr 2009
Mon 19-Nov-12 07:41 PM

"Mated" may have been the wrong word, as I asked Nikon to check the lens on the camera once they had adjusted the D800, and to clean the lens - I believe they do their testing on a 50mm lens (which by the way was the focal length I chose with my 24-70mm for my FoCal tests).

No, I haven't run FoCal on the 50mm yet, as to my eye, the results were fine (once I had dialled in +7 after my "dog" testing) - so I am not concerned that Nikon may have "set-up" the camera for one lens. My understanding is that if the camera is aligned correctly, with its AF system working within spec, than any anomalies would primarily relate to the lens, hence the ability to fine tune.

But therein also lies the catch - fine-tuning zoom lenses can be counterproductive, as different focal lengths may yield different AF tune numbers. Some advise tuning the lens for the focal length you normally use - but that kinda defeats the point of a zoom lens in my view - if I tended always to use a given FL then I would be using a Prime!! So, it's a bit of a Catch 22. My rule of thumb is to try and nail the exposure to get my required DOF - if I don't get it consistently then I would re-examine my AF-Fine tune settings for those conditions, and/or check the lens.

I will eventually put all my lenses through FoCal (or FocusTune), but right now I'd like to focus on photographing life again!

Chris

When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.
- Ansel Adams

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

www.throughmeyelens.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! Is Melville capable of fixing the D800 AF issues yet? [View all] , pponzo99 Silver Member , Sat 13-Oct-12 11:29 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Is Melville capable of fixing the D800 AF issues ye...
Reply message Theory on why they can't fix it.
Reply message RE: Theory on why they can't fix it.