Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Anyone Swap Out Their D3s For a D800?

spiritualized67

Western PA, US
3290 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Anyone Swap Out Their D3s For a D800?"

spiritualized67 Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, most notably in Street & Landscape Photography Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007
Fri 12-Oct-12 04:32 PM

Some excellent observations from all who chimed in - and I certainly appreciate the insight!

Based on what I'm hearing and reading, I think a move to the D800 might make sense for me.

About the only major concern I have is over something that was posted in the Mansurovs review about the D800, which dealt with Live View.

I use Live View a great deal on my D3s, and have it set so that when I press the center button, it zooms in 100% for critical focus.

Here is what the reviewer said. Is this a deal killer? Of course most of the time, I don't have to see exact detail to know that it's accurately focusing where I place the focus point, especially when I get the green confirm box. I suppose for testing lenses or Macro work, this would be more of a limitation.

But if the Live View focus is less accurate than the D3s in general, that's a different story altogether.

"While the camera has an impressive live view implementation with more features than on any previous DSLR, there is one very disappointing news – the magnified view on the D800 is not 1:1 pixel level. Because it interpolates the image instead of showing 1:1 pixels, the image appears with much less detail. I noticed this while testing lenses and it was a very annoying problem, making it difficult to see if the focus is accurate or not."

~Dan

A general, generic topic Anyone Swap Out Their D3s For a D800? [View all] , spiritualized67 Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, most notably in Street & Landscape Photography , Thu 11-Oct-12 03:34 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Anyone Swap Out Their D3s For a D800?