Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Anyone Swap Out Their D3s For a D800?

JonK

New York, US
6317 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Anyone Swap Out Their D3s For a D800?"

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004
Fri 12-Oct-12 03:01 AM

I shoot with both. For general use, landscape, street, etc. The D800 is wonderful — and lighter to boot. I've also shot some (poorly lit) off-off-Broadway theatre, auto ISO floating between ISO 2400 – ISO 6400.

Perrone is probably right: at ISO 3200 there's no difference in the noise; at ISO 6400 the edge may be to the D3s, though a perfectly exposed shot ISO 6400 almost matches the D3s (of course, when stretching to ISO 6400 I'm not sure that perfect exposure is truly obtainable ).

For those times when I shoot high FPS, the 4 FPS of the D800 is usually fine. It flunks with baseball (II haven';t shot much sports since college and don't have Perrone's skill set and experience) and BIF are a bit iffier than with the D3s. Of course, BIF are iffy with any body…

If FPS doesn't matter, and high ISO use is rare and tops out at ISO 3200, then I'm hard pressed to think of why you wouldn't want a lighter body with more DR and lot of droppable pixels!

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

A general, generic topic Anyone Swap Out Their D3s For a D800? [View all] , spiritualized67 Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, most notably in Street & Landscape Photography , Thu 11-Oct-12 03:34 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Anyone Swap Out Their D3s For a D800?