Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Anyone Swap Out Their D3s For a D800?

spiritualized67

Western PA, US
3290 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"Anyone Swap Out Their D3s For a D800?"

spiritualized67 Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, most notably in Street & Landscape Photography Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007
Thu 11-Oct-12 05:34 PM

Would love to hear your observations/comparisons, especially as it relates to Image Quality and Low-Light Capability up to ISO 6400.

When down-sampled to 12MP, is the D800 IQ better or about the same? And if the low-light capability is mostly on-par with the D3s up to 6400, I'd like to know that as well.

I'm thinking about selling my D3s for a D800. I do a lot of landscape work and sell my prints, and the extra resolution would be nice for my larger prints.

I still do environmental portraiture and photojournalism/street type of work, but almost never push beyond ISO 3200 or 6400.

Frame rate is never an issue (don’t do sports) and I have computing power to handle the larger D800 size. Not too worried about build quality – the D800 should hold up well enough.

If I had the money, I’d get both – but I need one versatile camera that can cover multiple genres. I love my D3s but have always felt restricted by the rather small native print size.

But I’d hate to switch only to find out that some of the moderately higher ISOs don’t look great or that the IQ (when comparing apples to apples) is worse.

From what I understand DR is much better on the D800, which is a selling point for me.

Thanks,

Dan
www.danielstainer.com

A general, generic topic Anyone Swap Out Their D3s For a D800? [View all] , spiritualized67 Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, most notably in Street & Landscape Photography , Thu 11-Oct-12 03:34 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Anyone Swap Out Their D3s For a D800?