Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800e NEF Files Converted to Lossy DNG

wfmcgrath3

Livingston, US
77 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D800e NEF Files Converted to Lossy DNG"

wfmcgrath3 Registered since 26th Feb 2012
Wed 31-Oct-12 03:49 PM

I have been importing my D800 NEF files as lossless compressed DNGs into LR4. I decided to check on the effects of using the lossy compression, so I created, using the DNG converter 7.2, two DNGs from a single NEF and imported them into LR's catalog. Using the Compare feature, I looked at both files at 100%, and I cannot see ANY difference between the two. The lossy files are less than half the size of the lossless ones, and they open more quickly.

I usually use LR4.2 to do my NEF->DNG conversion, but Adobe "forgot" to put a checkbox in the preferences to allow lossy compression on import. However, you can import them as lossless DNGs, then use the "convert photo to DNG" utility in the Library menu. Here you can opt for lossy compression. It will also allow you to delete the uncompressed file upon successful conversion. All your LR edits remain intact, and the catalog is unaffected.

Yesterday I converted about 55GB of lossless DNG files to the lossy variety using the LR utility mentioned above. It takes about 7.4 seconds per image on my HP laptop with a quad-core i7 proc and 8GB of RAM. I freed up about 30GB of HDD space (55GB->25GB).

Purists might argue that I'm throwing away some data, and I suppose that is true. However, if there is no discernible difference (that I can see), why not save space and improve speed? Your approach might be different, but this works for me.

Creating images the new-fashioned way!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic D800e NEF Files Converted to Lossy DNG [View all] , dennishhh , Tue 09-Oct-12 02:28 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800e NEF Files Converted to Lossy DNG