Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell You...

avisys

Placitas, US
482 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"The David Busch Book is HUGE!"

avisys Basic Member
Thu 04-Oct-12 10:08 PM | edited Thu 04-Oct-12 10:37 PM by avisys

It's 7-1/2" x 9" x 1-1/2" and weighs just a tad under four pounds.

Disadvantages: You are less likely to throw it in the car for a trip. It eats up shelf space. Heavy to handle while reading.

Advantages: The text is nice and big; easy to read, especially in bad light. The illustrations are correspondingly huge; easy to see and understand details, especially menus. (BUT, the menu images are actually too large; that size just wasn't necessary, IMO.)

OTOH, the Darrell Young book is smaller, 6x9x1, and weighs barely over 2 pounds. Easy to handle. Much more likely to go in the car.

The text is smaller, but in a nice sans serif typeface. I can easily read it with my computer glasses, and more easily with my reading glasses. The menu illustrations are much smaller than Busch, but satisfactory.

I have not spent enough time with either of these books to comment on content and clarity, but I will add that Busch seems to have a much better index.

Now, the typeface issue is interesting and, to some, very important. While the Busch book has this nice large type, and the Young book a somewhat smaller type, there can be disadvantages for the larger type, which in my case are apparent. It has to do with how we read: We don't read letter by letter or even word by word; we tend to read in phrases and clumps of words. Because of that, there may be, for any given reader, an optimum type size, typeface, and line length.

In my particular case, and maybe not yours, the Busch lines are a bit too long (although with a large gutter not that much longer than Young,) and the type too big. I'm just not as comfortable reading Busch. YMMV.

In fact, I was surprised that the Busch book is formatted the way it is. But he has many more books formatted in exactly the same way and, of course, is hugely successful. (I have a few.)

To each his own . . .

AviSys

This is a hot, active topic! Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell You... [View all] , Kristopher , Mon 01-Oct-12 12:30 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Which Book to learn the D800? Thom Hogan vs Darrell...
Reply message The David Busch Book is HUGE!