Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Fine Tuning with the D800

zumbado

North Potomac, US
93 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Fine Tuning with the D800"

zumbado Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2004
Tue 23-Oct-12 09:11 PM

I succeeded in installing the FoCal 1.7 Beta on my Mac Book Pro, and was able to do most of the tests provided by the FoCal Application. I did not do all of the tests because of time but was able to get results on my D800 using the 24-70mm f/2.8 Nikkor lens. The test I did were: Fully Automatic, Aperture Sharpness, AF Consistency, and Multi-Point Focus (using 51 sensors). I used ISO 1600 for most tests, and printed all the reports but have not analyzed them.

FoCal's announcement of the 1.7 Mac Beta describes how to install the application, but some details were not given. The announcement is found here: http://www.reikan.co.uk/focalweb/index.php/2012/10/focal-1-7-beta-5-much-improved-nikon-support-d600-added-and-lots-more/

Installation. The following paragraphs add more details on the installation.

You need the Don framework - the link to download is: http://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html

Choose Mac OS X Stable Version: 2.10.x

Choose: Intel Mac: Runtime to download the Don framework DMG and install it.

Then install FoCal 1.7. The files from the installation have to be copied into into a folder and then added to the Mac's Applications.

FoCal Use. To use FoCal 1.7 you must pick the camera either Canon or Nikon by: FoCal>Preferences>General then go to the last line, Active Camera Support, and chose Nikon. Once you pick Nikon, when you start FoCal, the panel of Figure 1 appears. You have to remove the memory cards from the camera because, with the cards are removed it is faster to Find and Connect the camera. Figure 2, because it shows the found camera, Find and Connect changes to Disconnect. Figure 2 is the portal of all the FoCal tools, which is a step up from 1.6.

Juan

Click on image to view larger version
FIGURE 1

Click on image to view larger version
FIGURE 2

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

A general, generic topic Fine Tuning with the D800 [View all] , NYNikon115 , Fri 17-Aug-12 01:36 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Fine Tuning with the D800