Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
dm1dave

Lowden, US
13639 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D7000 review"

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006
Sun 17-Oct-10 09:56 PM | edited Sun 17-Oct-10 09:59 PM by dm1dave

I have to agree that the complaint of softness kind of puts me off to this review. Unless there is a physical problem (not likely) that is causing front or back focus then there is no way that the camera can be inherently “soft.” It is possible that Nikon is using a slightly more aggressive AA filter but that should not cause any significant sharpness issues.

The most likely cause for the complaints, including this guys, is that he has not adjusted his technique for the higher pixel density. This initial flood of softness complaints shows up every time the mega pixel count (pixel density) is increased. I saw this issue when I moved up from the 6MP D50 to the 10MP D80 and again to a lesser extent going to the 12MP D300. After a couple of weeks of shooting at the higher pixel density and figuring out your camera/software settings this apparent image softness will go away as if it never existed.

This is a case were we need to review the reviewer. So far we have had some promising feedback on this camera but I am still awaiting reviews from reputable reviewers before making any judgment.

Dave Summers
Nikonians Photo Contest Director
My Nikonians Gallery | Current Nikonians Contests

Click on image to view larger version

A general, generic topic D7000 review [View all] , TomCurious , Sun 17-Oct-10 03:49 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D7000 review