Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D7000 what's missing for a D300 user?

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10532 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D7000 what's missing for a D300 user?"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Mon 11-Oct-10 12:18 PM

Larry

Sorry about the theft of your gear.

I have a D7000 on order - primarily for my wife. She would like a smaller lighter camera than her current D300 as she has a bit of arthritis in her hands.

The Image Doctors podcast with Bob Krist opened my mind to the smaller camera bodies like the D90. The D7000 is a clear upgrade to the D90 - and in many respects trumps the D300 and D700.

16.2 megapixels is a clear upgrade to most alternatives. Of course, you have to assume the next generation cameras will all have 16mb or more.

The D7000 will deliver 6 fps - not 1 fps as others have posted. That should meet most needs, but is just short of the D300 with grip. There is no mention of whether the new grip boosts frame rate - but I assume not.

I assume you would like the battery grip - MB-D11. I am debating it for my wife as it adds weight - but it also doubles battery capacity. The grip is a new model and there is no mention of other cameras that use the grip. Either way you need two EN-EL15 batteries. This is a new battery from Nikon.

The AF area has 39 AF points for dynamic AF - and can be used with 9, 21, or 39 points. While slightly below the D300 51 points, as a practical matter it does not make a difference since many of us use the 21 point option.

Exposure Compensation now has 5 stops up or down. That's an improvement from the current 3 stops and potentially useful for HDR.

Two SD card slots is a nice plus - but does mean you need to buy SD cards. It appears that 16gb cards would be a good choice - especially since video can require a lot of storage.

Video has new options of 24fps and 30fps - as well as image size choices. That should help both future proofing and allowing for different client needs.

The lowest native ISO is ISO 100. At the high end - the camera offers ISO 6400 and High 2 above that.

All in all, the D7000 seems to be as good or better than almost all current models. From my perspective, if you want a light weight body for hiking, travel, or other reasons, this is a fantastic choice.

BUT - the next generation of the D300, D700, and D3 have not been announced. My plan is to hold out for a D700 or D3 replacement.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

A general, generic topic D7000 what's missing for a D300 user? [View all] , MotoMannequin Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography , Wed 06-Oct-10 04:02 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D7000 what's missing for a D300 user?