Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon D800 in Nikon Rumors-Check it out

This topic is locked. This message is locked.
Tony_Jeffree

Manchester, UK
2016 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Nikon D800 in Nikon Rumors-Check it out"

Tony_Jeffree Registered since 13th Oct 2004
Wed 06-Oct-10 08:23 AM

>I just checked the Nikon Rumors site and the rumors have just
>started as a result of a yet to be published book in Amazon,
>France. According to the site, it will be a 24mp perhaps in
>February 2011? This is mind boggling. They haven't even
>released the D7000 and now the rumors started with the D700
>replacement. I wonder how much will this affect the D7000 by
>people holding a little longer for the D800. I would like to
>hear your opinion.

I hate to throw cold water on a great little rumour, but basing a rumour on what Amazon lists as future publications is not a great idea.

I wrote and self-published a book a few years back, and wanted to have an ISBN number assigned to it, so I bought a block of ISBN numbers from the UK registrar and used one of them for the book. The process requires the publisher to notify the ISBN registrar of the details of the book (title, publication date, synopsis, cover price, ...etc), so I did all of that and proceeded to get the cover designed, complete with ISBN barcode, and the book printed. Not many weeks after registering the number, I was amazed to receive an order from Amazon UK for 30 copies of the book well before I had any printed copies available to supply, and well before publication date; I looked on the Amazon website and discovered that the book was already being offered for pre-order, along with the text of the synopsis that I had supplied to the ISBN registrar. As the author, I was also able to submit extra information, photo of front cover, etc. to improve the online listing.

Similarly, a good many years ago now I agreed to write a book for one of the UK publishers, which for various reasons never got written; however, they had assigned an ISBN number to the agreed title, and it got listed on Amazon as available for pre-order. I just checked, and it is still listed on the Amazon site despite the publication date of 1998.

So, the point of all this is that Amazon is plugged into the ISBN number registration system worldwide so that they get early notification of new titles and their subject matter, well ahead of publication date. So if I was wanting to start a rumour about a new camera (or whatever), it would be trivial to buy a block of ISBN numbers (they are pretty cheap, so it makes for a good cost vs amusement ratio) and then notify the registrar of the book title and content. All that is necessary then is to sit back and wait for Amazon (and probably other online booksellers too) to list the title. A well-placed post to a few fora, and hey presto - the rumour is born, and it looks a lot more plausible than the usual stuff based on naff Photoshopped photos of Dxxx bodies made to look like something new.

Regards,
Tony

My Nikonians Gallery

This topic has been locked by a team member Nikon D800 in Nikon Rumors-Check it out [View all] , FutureLook Silver Member , Tue 05-Oct-10 08:43 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D800 in Nikon Rumors-Check it out