Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
hpcphoto

US
68 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D7000 or D3100....long rant"

hpcphoto Registered since 13th Nov 2009
Sat 02-Oct-10 12:35 PM | edited Sun 03-Oct-10 05:26 AM by hpcphoto

Wow Stan! What a response. Thanks for your honesty and candor. So I have been taking video for over 30 years. I am certainly not a beginner, but I do need to learn quite a bit still. Every year, just for fun, my 5 kids, spouse, and I usually make a nerdy production. It's more of a family bonding experience than Gone With the Wind, but it works. I make all the edits in Final Cut. I know I could shoot this type of video with an iPhone (and maybe we will this year), i have always been intrigued by being able to control DOF for dramatic effects. Low natural light shooting is always a plus as well. I share your frustration with "the camera" appearing to novices as the end all explanation for quality. I have to admit that love gear and to a certain extent we all do or we would not be here. Having gear that you like to shoot does help psychologically with one thing: it gives you the impetus to get out and shoot. Tomorrrow I'll take my D3 and 70-200 and get some killer shots of the kids playing soccer. I could do this with an iPhone, but the images would not be the same. The same, in my opinion, applies to video. Maybe chase can shoot a great video with a D7000 or an iPhone, but perhaps he could shoot an even better video, or at least less technically limited video, with a red or IMAX camera. Not saying that I am even in the same ball park as chase, but the canon point and shoot camcorder was barely ever used. I use my D3 all the time. So my question still remains. Would I be wasting money buying a D7000 not just for video, but as a more compact travel camera and video camera? I just never have been satisfied with the quality of point and shoots. Or should I just get the D3100 and as you said learn to work around the limitations to get decent video. Thanks for your interest and maybe you can add to the conversation. I'm sure that we may be helping others who are having the same or a similar dilemma. Thanks.
Ed

Check out my website

www.hpcphoto.com !

Or my stock site:

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_search.php?action=file&membername=hpcphoto

A general, generic topic D7000 or D3100 [View all] , hpcphoto , Fri 01-Oct-10 04:00 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D7000 or D3100
Reply message RE: D7000 or D3100
     Reply message RE: D7000 or D3100....long rant