Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

AF Fine tune settings query and shared results?

agitater

Toronto, CA
4551 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: AF Fine tune settings query and shared results?"

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Sun 13-Feb-11 12:33 PM

I echo Rick's post. The vast majority of Nikon lenses and DSLR bodies provide precise focus point control for prime focal lengths and for zoom focal lengths. That's not surprising considering the considerable amounts of money we pay for all this gear.

AF Fine Tune adjustments are only appropriate for a body and lens combination that is inaccurate.

If you happen to have a Nikkor lens that appears to be out-of-spec, before doing an AF Fine Tune (which is laborious and time consuming) I strongly advise sending the lens to Nikon for recalibration.

I think AF Fine Tune with a zoom lens is a monumental waste of time because the process tends to fine tune an out-of-spec zoom at only one focal length. The process should be reserve for prime lenses only. Once again though, the need for AF Fine Tune is quite rare - as Rick stated, it's definitely not any sort of standard setup task for any Nikon DSLR or lens combination.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

A general, generic topic AF Fine tune settings query and shared results? [View all] , Robman3 , Sun 13-Feb-11 07:20 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: AF Fine tune settings query and shared results?