Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Flash issue please help

JohnE Nikon

New HArtford, US
932 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Flash issue please help"

JohnE Nikon Registered since 15th Jun 2010
Sun 13-Feb-11 07:11 PM | edited Sun 13-Feb-11 07:27 PM by JohnE Nikon

I just finished reviewing 215 images I shot with my external flash at a birthday party yesterday.
My conclusions are:

1 I am inexperienced with flash photography and may have started this post prematurely.

2 > 85% of exposures were decently exposed using matrix metering and TTL-BL.

3 Using spot metering does convert TTL-BL to TTL. Thank you. Unfortunately I did not experiment with this and FV to determine If I would get better results. I will try.

4 I believe most of my confusion was with using relatively high F stops with an iso of 100 a full stop less than I ever used with the D5000 where I had a little more experience w my external flash.

5 With the D5000 indoors I would often use auto iso w/o flash and when I wanted flash I would often switch to the full green auto setting which opened up my aperture and upped my iso.

6 The communication w the ext flash gives indications of working. The iso, fstop, focal length and TTL or TTL-BL does show on flash.

7 Marty, I did not realize that distance info was recorded on flash. I just finished looking at it and sometimes it appeared that I only had 10' so I may have been out of range.

8 Also my flash is limited w re. to focal length. I also used my 10-24 mm zoom for some of the shots yesterday and a couple of these were underexposed although most were good. I think 24mm is the lower limits for my flash.

9 The upper f-stop is 11 on my flash so I assume if I put my f-stop to 22 the flash would not increase output anymore than at f-11.

The one thing that lingers in the back of my mind is; I believe I used to notice a preflash which I thought was used to determine flash intensity. I no longer see this.

Does anyone get a preflash? I never use red eye reduction so this is not the pre flash I used to notice.

Thanks again for your help.

BTW my new bargain priced 35-70 2.8 w AF -18 worked very well. I will keep the lens.

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Flash issue please help [View all] , JohnE Nikon , Sat 12-Feb-11 12:47 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Flash issue please help
                    Reply message MYSTERY SOLVED :RE: Flash issue please help