Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Flash issue please help

JohnE Nikon

New HArtford, US
932 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Flash issue please help"

JohnE Nikon Registered since 15th Jun 2010
Sat 12-Feb-11 02:31 PM

Alan thanks for your response.

>Indoors, where the flash is the main light source, you should
>be using TTL not TTL-BL.

I wondered about this. When I was getting preflash 2 days ago it was brighter and there was more of a need for fill flash.

Is there a setting to changes this in camera?
I am hoping that my load save settings blunder changed something. I accidentally loaded my wildlife U1 settings into the main camera but I thought I changed it back.

The image I presented was with pop camera flash. My external flash has a mode button which lets camera control it or puts it in manual. There is no specific setting to control TTL or TTL-BL.

Also for more info when I shoot with F stop below 5.6 and especially if iso is set at 200 the exposures are more correct.

Shouldn't I be able to manual expose at f-stop 10, iso 100 and shutter speed 200, especially with an external flash?
>

>An unrelated question; do you really need -18 AF Fine Tune for
>this lens?

I bought this lens used 3 days ago as I don't have a portrait zoom lens. I wanted the shallower depth of field of 2.8. After taking some portraits I thought images were soft and put it through a focus test and and found significant back focusing. Depending on focal length and distant to subject the AF fine tune needed to be -16 to -19. I thought -18 was a reasonable compromise.

Only 2 out of 5 of my other lenses "needed" fine tunining, but fine tuning was < 5 for these lenses so I don't think there is a serious focusing issue with the camera.

I have 2 weeks to return lens if I am not happy. I am in the process of making up my mind. I paid about $300 and the comparable new lens is well > $1000. Preliminarily I think I will keep lens and let camera correct focus. I'll see how today's shoot goes but now I will also have to be dealing with manual flash settings which I have no experience with. BTW the flash underexposure issue is not lens dependent as I tested this lens on D5000 and tested flash on D7000 with multiple other lenses.

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Flash issue please help [View all] , JohnE Nikon , Sat 12-Feb-11 12:47 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Flash issue please help
                    Reply message MYSTERY SOLVED :RE: Flash issue please help