Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
browntdb

Corvallis, US
236 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: On the fence"

browntdb Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2009
Fri 11-Feb-11 10:32 PM

I am amazed at all the thoughtful comments that have been posted on this thread. I, and I know others on the fence really appreciate all the time folks are taking to share their experiences. Since I started this thread, I thought I would add a bit more info. I already have an 18-105 kit lens and the 70-300VR Nikon, Nikon AF Micro 105 F2.8D, Nikon 35mm F1.8 prime, and Tokina 11-16.

I typically use the 18-105 for 80 percent of my everyday shooting. I love the big range especially at the lower end. It goes well with my Tokina for wide angle. However, I know it is not as sharp as ome of the mid range zooms offerend by Nikon, and sounds like some of the other manufacturers.

I do have a possibility of passing on my D90 to someone, but it would require giving up the 18-105 lens as well. That would leave a delemma. Get another 18-105 as the kit lens with the D7000 or try a third party mid-prime lens with the D7000 body. I can't afford a D7000 and a Nikon pro lens. The other option, which was mentioned and is actually a very good one is to get a faster pro nikon mid-range zoom and keep the D90. That still only gives me, and I am an old 35mm photographer going back to the Nikkormat FTN, only one stop faster than the 18-105, but a sharper lens. It is really a tough decision.

I am not sure if this additional information is helpful to the discussion but thought I would throw it out there anyway.

Thank you all very much for your input

Terry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic On the fence [View all] , browntdb Silver Member , Thu 10-Feb-11 05:06 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: On the fence