Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
JPJ

Toronto, CA
1327 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: On the fence"

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009
Fri 11-Feb-11 09:31 PM

>As Tom said, you might want to consider spending the $1200 on
>glass rather than on a new body unless you need or want a
>specific D7000 feature. The D90 is an excellent camera.
>$1200 comes close to getting you a used 70-200mm f/2.8 or a
>brand new Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 paired with a fast prime. The
>D7000 does work extremely well at high ISO settings, but fast
>glass wins over high ISO.

F/2.8 zooms are not a huge advantage for low light shooting in my experience (I own the 17-55/2.8, 70-200/2.8, Tokina 11-16/2.8 and Sigma 150/2.8). It is more of an advantage at the telephoto end of the range where the kit zooms are closer to 2 stops slower.

Compared to say the 18-55 (3.5-5.6) and 55-200 (4-5.6) you are talk about a 2/3rds to 2 stop advantage depending on where you are in the range.

As I said the d7000 is good to ISO 3200 whereas the d90 realistically is only good to 800. That is a 2 stop advantage at any point in the range.

A fast 1.4 prime is another story, now you are talking about a real low light advantage. My Sigma 50 is my go to for this purpose.

Cost wise, if one were shooting in low light frequently, being able to shoot at higher ISOs consistently would beat fast glass any day as the cost of getting fast glass for a wide focal range is much greater.

Example: D7k = $1200, 2 stop advantage throughout the range, which is still a few hundred dollars less than the 17-55 and much cheaper than the 70-200.

Additionally, the d7k focuses better than the d90 in low light in my experience.

Jason

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic On the fence [View all] , browntdb Silver Member , Thu 10-Feb-11 05:06 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: On the fence