Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Manual vs Program Mode

rbsandor

Denver, US
1752 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Manual vs Program Mode"

rbsandor Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007
Wed 09-Feb-11 02:34 PM

You can take your use of manual settings one step further by using Auto ISO. The camera does an excellent job of getting a good exposure by varying the ISO. And you still have the ability to use exposure compensation if the situation warrants. In this case, it is the ISO which is modified. The real benefit of this is that the camera always uses the minimum ISO to get a good exposure.
The advantage of Camera Manual is that you choose the f stop and aperture that you want and is appropriate for the situation. If you choose Aperture Priority, you may get an undesirable shutter speed. The reverse is true in Shutter Priority. In Program, the camera is choosing settings that may be perfect or totally inappropriate.
I do alot of sports and wildlife shooting. Being able to control both A and S gives me the desired end result. Other folks have different needs, but having control of the exposure is desirable from my point of view.

A general, generic topic Manual vs Program Mode [View all] , wkramer , Sun 06-Feb-11 06:37 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Manual vs Program Mode