Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

SD Card speed question

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10524 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: SD Card speed question"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Tue 12-Oct-10 10:50 AM

The Extreme cards are Class 10. The Extreme III are different - I believe they are class 6 since they were released in 2005. There is also an Extreme IV that is the successor to the Extreme III and I believe it is also Class 6. The Ultra cards replaced the Extreme IV.

The Sandisk site says the Extreme (Class 10) and Ultra SD cards are compatible with the D7000. It does not mention other cards. The manual for the D7000 will likely have some specifications for approved cards.

With other manufacturers you will see reference to both maximum and minimum speeds. The 30mb/second is a minimum speed for both read and write - it equates to a 200x rating which is the maximum speed - typically for reading which is faster than writing.

The big difference in these cards is read and write speed. I've used a large card with slow write speed in the past and it can really slow down burst shooting and downloads. I would be concerned about shooting HD video with a slower card.

I don't see any reason to only go with Sandisk, but I would go with a known brand. You so need to watch the speed on various cards as there are a lot of discontinued products on the market. I did some research yesterday and was able to find Class 4, Class 6, and Class 10 cards all available as new.

I just purchased 2 16gb Sandisk Extreme cards for the D7000 I ordered. They are about $90 each. There is a rebate available from Sandisk, but limited to authorized dealers. Other dealers like Amazon fulfilled seem to be discounting the rebate from the price.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

A topic tagged as having a question SD Card speed question [View all] , KnightPhoto Gold Member , Wed 29-Sep-10 02:33 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: SD Card speed question