Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Should I upgrade from my D5000 to the D7000?

scopeland

Rochester, US
320 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Should I upgrade from my D5000 to the D7000?"

scopeland Registered since 17th Apr 2009
Sun 10-Oct-10 07:46 PM

Another idea to keep in mind given the place that photography is likely to have in your lives going forward is the idea of a backup body.

When I first started reading posts in these forums and heard that people had multiple camera bodies (and often very nice ones!), I never thought that I would be in that position. I'm now beginning to see how it can make sense in many ways if you are at all serious about photography as a hobby (or especially as a profession). If you find yourselves travelling with the hope of capturing images being an important part of the trip, it is certainly nice to have the insurance of a second camera in the event something goes wrong with your main camera. It's also legitimate to go with both a DX and FX format camera for each of their strengths and benefits.

All that to say, the next camera you buy is very unlikely to be the last camera that you buy. At the pace of technology changes, the one you buy today may quite likely become your backup in 2-3 years. For me, it can take a lot of pressure off the decision making process if you don't go in to it thinking "I've got to get this absolutely perfect because this is the last camera I'll ever buy". I'm not suggesting a cavalier approach, and I certainly want to make good decisions, but I find that I can use and enjoy my gear with a lot less angst (before and after the purchase) if I keep the decision making process simple. I also try to keep in mind that even a less than perfect choice today will take fantastic images, I'll learn from it, it will certainly be more than fine as a backup camera, and I'll probably have a chance to make a better (or at least different) choice a couple years down the road.

Good luck, and have fun taking pictures!

Steve

Visit my Main site or my Sports site

A general, generic topic Should I upgrade from my D5000 to the D7000? [View all] , mikona , Tue 28-Sep-10 12:04 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Should I upgrade from my D5000 to the D7000?