Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Should I upgrade from my D5000 to the D7000?

blw

Richmond, US
28704 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Should I upgrade from my D5000 to the D7000?"

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Fri 01-Oct-10 08:13 AM

> Spray and Pray! I like that.

Well, it's not my term, it was applied to me, and it was intended as an insult, or at least a pejorative. I don't think it applies at all, as in reality I'm really a pretty careful and deliberate photographer. When I have the opportunity, I can slow down to about five frames an hour - macro work, done indoors in controlled situations, on a tripod and focusing rail with a tilt/shift lens, for example. But I do a lot of sports, and in fact that's where I use up a lot of frames. One might even argue that I don't spend enough frames there. (One of my regular shooting partners is a pro, and he almost always shoots many more than I do.) If I were shooting 25k/yr as a part time landscape photographer that would be a clear sign of some uncritical decision making behind the viewfinder. And indeed I do macro, landscapes and portraits. But I also do motorsports, baseball, equestrian and occasionally some other things where the frames roll up pretty quickly. Wildlife, too.

> D4 ... not in the budget

Well of course - you did say $3000! But actually I didn't say to get a D4, just to wait until that generation comes out. Even on the steep learning curve, you've got a year left in the camera you have. But when the D4 comes out, I expect it to be the herald of a new generation - a new D400 and maybe a D800 will accompany it, and really those were the ones I was thinking of. That's one reason I encourage you to wait a year. The other is to climb the curve more to gain enough experience to know where to go next. As fast as she's going, it will still be a while before she really needs to move on.

> retire and ... photography professionally

I hear many echos of myself here, and that's one reason why I changed my recommendation over the course of several posts, as I learned more about your specific situation. You're new to Nikonians so probably wouldn't realize how rare that is, but I don't change 180 degrees very often. Particularly because I've been through this myself, I can see where this curve goes. She (and you, apparently) are already undertaking a wide variety of things, and entertaining the possibility of entering the profession, so my advice is to recognize where that's going and to plan your investments (think of them in those terms, as well as return on investments) accordingly.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

A general, generic topic Should I upgrade from my D5000 to the D7000? [View all] , mikona , Tue 28-Sep-10 12:04 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Should I upgrade from my D5000 to the D7000?