Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

I must have me a Nikon D7000

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4954 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: I must have me a Nikon D7000"

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Wed 15-Sep-10 07:07 PM

I pre-ordered a month ago. Just checked with my dealer at lunch time to make sure I am #1 on their pre-order list AND YES I AM

I am looking for the D7000 to be:
- attached permananetly to my 500VR as my main birding camera.
- My D300 will back one step down in the kit hierarchy to a new role in my kit, namely to be semi-permanently attached to the 70-200 (plus TCs) for mammalian wildlife and scenics we encounter when out birding. My D700 currently performs this role but see below. I love the 70-200 focal range on a DX camera (plus TCs when desired). May get the TC20E iii at some point, but my initial plan is TC17E, works VERY well as far as I'm concerned.
- I would prefer that AF Fine tune is a feature on the D7000. Still trying to confirm whether this feature exists or not or this cam? I find my 500VR depth of field to be so freaking narrow that AF Fine tune allows me to very finely balance how much of the bird in front of my focus point and behind my focus point is crystal sharp. If worse comes to worse and there is no AF fine tune, and I encounter any issues, I'll send my D7000 and 500VR in for a matched tuning exercise by Nikon.
- My D700 can then keep the 24-70 semi-permanently mounted for scenics, people, and especially handheld HDR.
- video video video - yeah! My first DSLR with video. Will work this camera very hard in Theatre (and general family clips too). Gonna get me a couple mics, one shotgun for sure (I don't think these are stereo) to eliminate camera and ambient noise from the crowd from within which I video and probably a Stereo Video Rode mic too.
- Need some SD cards. Darn it, was hoping 1 CF/1 SD but I'll live with it.
- I'll still get a D400 when that comes next year (and will keep the D7000 but it might get demoted at that time to the 70-200 role).
- Probably have to get the grip by midwinter for the -20 to -35C shooting that I do. Look up Zama City on Google maps, planning a trip there for mid-January!
- BIGGEST thing I will be paying attention to is how good is ISO1600. This is vital/critical to my plans for this camera. Can I count on it being as good as the D300 at ISO 800, we'll see!

BTW my dealer here in Canada says probably LATE October delivery. Bargain price folks assuming cam lives up to its promise. Nikon is going to sell a LOT of these.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

A general, generic topic I must have me a Nikon D7000 [View all] , kricha6431 , Wed 15-Sep-10 04:11 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: I must have me a Nikon D7000