Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Extra Grip for D7000

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Extra Grip for D7000"

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Mon 22-Oct-12 07:30 AM

The battery grips made by Zeikos and Meike both perform the same in regard to the battery change over, which is to say it is the same way as the Nikon. I use the Meiki on the D7000 and Zeikos on a D90 and a Pixel on the D800. All work the same, very well.

My comments in the past about having the grip support a 70-200 was that I used mine by attaching the Black Rapid RS-5 to the lens foot, not the camera/grip. For best tripod results I also suggest removing the grip, any grip, because the mounting of a grip is not as stable as the whole bottom of the camera. There is a locating pin, and a attachment screw as the only locking points for a grip.
My own experience with aftermarket grips has been excellent, no problems at all and gained a lot of benefits such as higher stability, lower shutter speeds possible with hand holding in the vertical orientation, changing a good handling body into a great handling body in either orientation, and as the least important on the battery miser D7000, additional battery life. The AF/AE L button changed to AF-On with each of the grips is in a better location and more sure in hitting than the AF-on buttom on the body. For those who use the AF-on for focusing, this is a welcome improvement over the placement of the button on the bodies.
I never support a heavy lens on the sling strap by the body, it is risky having a single attachment point, but the main reason is because the whole assembly hangs is really unbalanced. I leave the sling coupled to the heavy lens when changing lenses and use the hand strap alone for camera/smaller lens hand use. That is a very convenient way to deal with a prime and longer heavy lens at events, no bag, just a small belt pouch for the prime or mid zoom like 24-70, and when the 70-200 is not mounted, it hangs securely by my side until needed to be mounted. Even a light camera like the D7000 with a heavy lens and a SB900 and some modifier presents a total package that is heavy and a potential stress on any one attachment point, regardless of who makes the grip.
Good luck with the grip Peter, you will really like it if you shoot vertically as much as I do. Notice that being able to tuck your arms in tight to your chest means you can get a full stop lower in SS speed in vertical orientation compared to without the grip, using the overhand hold technique. It does, however make the whole package a little taller than a D3s and is hard to hide for stealth photography. Of course so is any good fast prime with its large front element that looks from a distance as a big eye looking at you which our brains are predisposed to notice instantly.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! Extra Grip for D7000 [View all] , Clarktmc Gold Member , Sat 25-Dec-10 05:49 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Extra Grip for D7000