Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Photographing a text off a silver plate.. I’m stuck.

agitater

Toronto, CA
4526 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Photographing a text off a silver plate.. I’m stuck."

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Sun 22-Sep-13 11:56 PM

The scroll was probably inscribed in sta'm k'tav ashuri as most of them are. I heard about a really old piece of scroll allegedly written in k'tav ivri about thirty five years ago in the collection of a man in London, England. Turned out to be a false alarm though - the guy had been fed a bunch of nonsense and sure wasn't an aramaic or hebrew script expert; just a wealthy collector who thought he'd tumbled onto a real find. I got a couple of shots anyway, but it turned out to have been scripted the year before. Waste of time.

The most interesting thing about the Torah you're going to photograph, specifically if it originated as a real Sephardic scroll created ~400 years ago in or around the Iberian peninsula or the adjacent continental sub-region, is that while they all have the exact same number of letters and the correct number of column rows, etc., etc., some of the soferim back in the day managed to get in some slight modifications to the k'tav ashuri which were acceptable to whomever commissioned the Torah. If it turns out that you're photographing one of those, there may be a number of the Jewish historical archivists, historians and whatnot who'd also be interested in your photos.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

A general, generic topic Photographing a text off a silver plate.. I’m stuck. [View all] , BigBen636 , Sun 22-Sep-13 10:31 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Photographing a text off a silver plate.. I’m stu...