Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Photographing a text off a silver plate.. I’m stuck.

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Photographing a text off a silver plate.. I’m stuck."

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Sun 22-Sep-13 02:00 PM

You probably don't want to (and the Rabbi likely won't let you) place photo lighting or strobes anywhere near the Torah. At ~400 years old, it's best to keep heat sources and high intensity strobes well away from the parchment (covered or not). Same goes for the atzei chayim which are usually at least as old as the physical scrolls themselves before inscription. If the mantel and gartel are also as old as the sefer torah, you absolutely want to avoid any hot lighting or strobes when shooting as well. The kesser and yad are obviously less of a worry.

I assume you're trying to get a clean, readable shot of the breast plate attached to the mantel.

I think the best solution might be to use medium size, soft reflectors to put some of the existing room lighting to good use. Set up your tripod, set up a pair of soft reflectors - one on each side positioned slightly in front of subject, do a custom white balance, then make your shots. Note that one of the problems with polished silver is that it acts like the next best thing to a mirror, so do your best to keep a reflection of the camera out of the shot; experiment with shot angles to achieve that.

Tweaking levels and curves in post-processing will help the text pop out clearly.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

A general, generic topic Photographing a text off a silver plate.. I’m stuck. [View all] , BigBen636 , Sun 22-Sep-13 10:31 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Photographing a text off a silver plate.. I’m stu...