Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Bit of an experiment with higher ISO

RLDubbya

US
553 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"Bit of an experiment with higher ISO"

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011
Thu 15-Aug-13 10:48 PM

There was a recent thread in which we discussed noise, and it got me to thinking: the only time I've tried to use higher ISO with the D7000 is when the light was low. I've found that ISO 1250 is largely unacceptable (to me) in low light for wildlife or portraits of animals. Fur & feather textures get lost in running noise reduction in post.

Here's a shot at ISO 1250, in bright sunlight, of a bird. It's cropped pretty deep: from the native file size (4928 x 3264) to 1147 x 759. Post work done in Topaz Labs suite, including Denoise and Detail, but honestly - it was not that terrible, and LR would have been sufficient.

Anyhow, this is perfectly acceptable (to me). If I didn't have such a deep crop, I'd have an image that I think would print nicely at a reasonable poster size. I think the D7000 acquitted itself quite nicely.

Click on image to view larger version

This is a hot, active topic! Bit of an experiment with higher ISO [View all] , RLDubbya Silver Member , Thu 15-Aug-13 08:48 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Bit of an experiment with higher ISO