Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

In Need of Information and Advice On Buying a D7000

Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US
762 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: In Need of Information and Advice On Buying a D7000"

Bravozulu Registered since 04th Jun 2012
Wed 24-Jul-13 07:38 PM | edited Wed 24-Jul-13 07:40 PM by Bravozulu

I own a D7000 for a little more than one year. My background in photography is similar to yours. Nikon 35mm since 1968. Worked in Tokyo. Owned 6 Nikkor lenses. I was paid as a photojournalist.

I'm going to ignore all the responses to your question. I don't know current prices and have no opinions about lenses because I think that is something which should be tailored to your shooting. I myself have 4 Nikkor AF lenses. But which ones will remain a secret because you are you. Think closely about the distances and the environment you will shoot. Will primes work, or do you need zoom? Do you need fast lenses or are kit lenses good enough? There can be big price tags attached to any of these choices.

But here is what I want to say to you about your entry into digital photography. My friend, a 747 captain at Continental airlines suggested the D7000 to me. He said, "When you get it, forget the fact that it is digital and highly automated. Instead, set the camera to M (for Manul) and pretend it is a film camera. Doing so will focus your education on the camera buttons and controls.

I ignored his advice, got a book and was paralyzed reading and "surfing" through menus on the D7000 instead of shooting. 60 days passed, I had taken less than 100 images, and I was really, really confused. You have simply got to learn the camera (not menus, mind you) before you feel comfortable with it. Menu options are secondary in most instances. Who cares if the date and time are adjusted in the Setup Menu? All those details can wait. You need to start shooting, which will give you the hand-eye coordination needed for mastery.

I will go one step further. I have 3 books on the D7000. The last one I bought is my clear favorite. It is short and to the point. Published in England --- Nikon D7000, by Jon Sparks, Ammonite Press. Buy the book before getting the camera and you'll have a preview of what you're in for. And remember this important fact about any camera — If you miss the shot, what good is a zillion megapixel capacity and a $1million dollar lens? The D7000 offers capacity beyond my meager photo skills.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! In Need of Information and Advice On Buying a D7000 [View all] , ubiety , Wed 17-Jul-13 09:01 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: In Need of Information and Advice On Buying a D7000