Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

In Need of Information and Advice On Buying a D7000

ubiety

US
11 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: In Need of Information and Advice On Buying a D7000"

ubiety Registered since 17th Jul 2013
Wed 24-Jul-13 03:17 AM | edited Wed 24-Jul-13 02:09 PM by ubiety

>For most landscapes and portraits, I use AF-S mode, use the
>shutter release button to set my center-point sensor focus on
>the subject I want tack sharp, hold the shutter release (which
>holds the focus), recompose and fire away. Sounds
>complicated, but it soon becomes second nature.
>
>The D7000 has a very light shutter release button, but it
>becomes second nature... In the settings, I'd use STANDARD
>for color rendition, and set the SHARPENING to '6' (Nikon sets
>that VERY conservatively).
>
>I'd have two SD Cards installed, shoot NEF's (RAW) if you like
>to do post processing, or the Highest size/quality JPEGs.
>
>I'd also use View NX2 (comes free with the camera, or can be
>downloaded), as it will convert your NEF files to JPEG's, and
>is a fairly easy editing tool.
>
>I use View NX2 as my image browser, and I use a Western
>Digital pair of small external Passport drives to hold my
>images. They're stored on one, and then I use SyncToy to
>back-up onto the second drive every so often.

Thanks for the advice. Some things that I take for granted from my film days, like focusing, will take some practice with my new camera. But, as you say, once I've done it enough times, it will become second nature and I'll be able to concentrate more on capturing good shots than operating the camera.

As for post processing, I'm still unsure of how I'll handle that piece of it. Currently, I do little, if any, image processing. I have GIMP installed on my computer, and may use it until I get a better feel for my post processing needs. GIMP handles RAW processing through a plugin, which may or may not produce acceptable results. Maybe using View NX2 to convert the NEF files to JPEGs would be easier.

There is a lot of conflicting advice online about which software works best for processing RAW image files. Working with these programs may be the only way to understand what people are talking about when they either praise or criticize photo editing software. I guess I'll find out soon enough... if everything goes as expected, my new camera will be here tomorrow and I'll be able to start experimenting with the various facets of digital photography.

This is a hot, active topic! In Need of Information and Advice On Buying a D7000 [View all] , ubiety , Wed 17-Jul-13 09:01 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: In Need of Information and Advice On Buying a D7000