Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

In Need of Information and Advice On Buying a D7000

billD80

US
2241 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: In Need of Information and Advice On Buying a D7000"

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007
Tue 23-Jul-13 12:32 PM

>Hello,
>
>I've been reading through these forums in hope of gaining some
>enlightenment on how to proceed with embarking into the realm
>of DSLR photography. Many years ago, I spent a fair amount of
>time on photography, but I have not been able to do so in
>recent years.
>
>The only SLR camera I have ever owned is a Nikon F3, which I
>still have, but which I prefer not to use due to the
>inconvenience of using film.

The D7000 is a fine camera, and while it's much lighter than the D3, it's very well screwed together. Its shutter is MUCH quieter than the D3.

If you can shoot a D3, I think you'll find the D7000 a piece of cake. I think the main thing will be to understand how to use the AF so the mode you're using is consistent with what you're trying to shoot.

For most landscapes and portraits, I use AF-S mode, use the shutter release button to set my center-point sensor focus on the subject I want tack sharp, hold the shutter release (which holds the focus), recompose and fire away. Sounds complicated, but it soon becomes second nature.

The D7000 has a very light shutter release button, but it becomes second nature... In the settings, I'd use STANDARD for color rendition, and set the SHARPENING to '6' (Nikon sets that VERY conservatively).

I'd have two SD Cards installed, shoot NEF's (RAW) if you like to do post processing, or the Highest size/quality JPEGs.

I'd also use View NX2 (comes free with the camera, or can be downloaded), as it will convert your NEF files to JPEG's, and is a fairly easy editing tool.

I use View NX2 as my image browser, and I use a Western Digital pair of small external Passport drives to hold my images. They're stored on one, and then I use SyncToy to back-up onto the second drive every so often.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

This is a hot, active topic! In Need of Information and Advice On Buying a D7000 [View all] , ubiety , Wed 17-Jul-13 09:01 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: In Need of Information and Advice On Buying a D7000