Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Elrique64a

Lake Stevens, US
56 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Which remote?"

Elrique64a Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Feb 2012
Mon 24-Jun-13 07:31 PM

A couple of remote methods you didn't mention and they do double duty. I have used both and like them.

RF-602 by Yongnuo: This can be used as both a radio remote trigger for the camera and as a non-iTTL strobe/flash trigger. Get the model with the cabling you need for your camera, they run fairly cheap on ebay. Roughly $30 or so.

Pros: Dual duty, great range, easy to fit in a pocket or camera bag, not compatible with the next one I'll mention.

Cons: These work on a transmitter/receiver method, where you have one of each (or more receivers.) the transmitter uses one of those funky CR2 batteries which can be somewhat hard to find. Not TTL. No one camera flash when transmitter mounted on camera. Receiver has a cold shoe on the bottom, no pass-through.

RF-603 by Yongnou: This is a huge improvement over the 602's. Tranceiver design instead of a transmitter/receiver combo. Uses different cables than the 602's. Works again as both a camera remote shutter and as a flash/strobe trigger. Just need the right cables for the job you are doing. Will not do TTL. Again, about $30 a pair.

Pros: designed as a transceiver, so whichever you trigger through either the button on top or the shutter release becomes the transmitter and the other becomes the receiver. Uses AAA batteries, fairly easy to find. Has pass-through on the hot shoe mount, so can fire a TTL flash through the transceiver.

Cons: Not compatible with the 602's, different cabling, so will need to get the cables for strobes, etc, separately. Most of the suppliers for these are in China so plan for longer shipping times. They can be found from US suppliers, but a bit more expensive.

These work really well, either model. I'm leaning more toward the 603's simply from the convenience of battery selection. Can "daisy chain" either model of these to fire either 2 cameras, one after the other, etc. or one set to fire the camera with a transceiver on the hot shoe to fire strobes (different channels.) They are fairly durable, but aren't something I want to bang around a lot. They do NOT lock to the camera, so if you are moving with a flash on the hot shoe mount, it might fall off, or lose connection.

I also have the WU-1A and it's just a neat toy now, until someone develops decent software for android to run all the features it could use. The Nikon software is, well, sub-par. When I'm shooting a stack or doing something I can take my tablet with me to shoot, I'm still tethering.

HTH

Mike G.

A general, generic topic Which remote? [View all] , MarkM10431 Silver Member , Fri 21-Jun-13 04:51 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Which remote?