Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Screen Protectors and the out of stock issue.

agitater

Toronto, CA
4551 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Screen Protectors and the out of stock issue."

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Fri 21-Jun-13 08:41 PM

Why worry about adhesive residue? The screen protector goes on and stays on. If it is damaged during use, strip it off using strong dental floss (a tip from another Nikonian, mentioned a few years ago in the D300 forum), remove any remaining adhesive by rubbing it off (or with a tiny bit of Goo Gone or some similar product) and install a new protector. The screen protector adhesive won't damage the surface of the Gorilla Glass LCD screen outer layer already on the camera.

The other option, if the correct size is out of stock, is to purchase a Zagg Shield screen protector product (or a similar product from another maker) that is larger than the camera LCD, then use a straight edge metal ruler and an Xacto knife to cut it to size. You can get two, full, rear LCD protectors out of a single Zagg Shield meant for an iPad Mini.

I have a Vello glass protector on my D7100 and my D800. The protectors seem almost indestructible and they're optically great. Clear, clear, clear, unlike the always slightly mottled Zagg Shield and Shieldz flexible plastic protectors.

The most important thing to remember when installing a GGS or Vello glass, adhesive screen protector is to line it up carefully before pressing it into place. Practic lining it up while the wax paper is still in position. Don't remove the wax paper from the adhesize until you understand how best to hold the screen in order to position it accurately. Everybody's fingers and hands and dexterity are different from each other. Take a minute or two or three or however much time you need to practice, then do a proper installation job. Fail to follow the advice and there's a chance you'll end up sticking down the screen misaligned then trying to lift it and reposition it and messing up the adhesive strip, and just generally pooching the job. That's either forty bucks down the drain or a misaligned screen that bugs the heck out of any photographer who's trying to live with it.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

A general, generic topic Screen Protectors and the out of stock issue. [View all] , PCassidy , Fri 21-Jun-13 11:13 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Screen Protectors and the out of stock issue.