Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
dm1dave

Lowden, US
13741 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D7100 graininess"

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006
Thu 20-Jun-13 10:45 PM | edited Thu 20-Jun-13 10:46 PM by dm1dave

>> “i guess with the rising sun in the photo I should ahve dialed in an ev adjustment but I wanted sillouettes”

Stan is correct that - from a technical point of view the image is underexposed. On the other hand a sunrise shot like this needs to be underexposed or you lose the color in the sky and you don’t get the silhouettes that you wanted.

So, for this image, underexposure was the right choice. Very nice image!

A bit of grain seen at 100% on your computer is nothing to worry about. Remember, at 100% view your image is about 60 inches wide and you are viewing that extremely large image on a low resolution (about 96PPI) device at a very close viewing distance.

I would bet that you could easily make a 24 inch wide print and you would not see any of the grain if the image is viewed from about 2 feet back.

In fact this is one way that these high resolution cameras control noise so well. The pixels are very small - so that when they are reduced in size for normal viewing (normal viewing = viewing the image in its entirety) the noise (or grain) blends away. Even if you make extremely large prints (60+ inches) the grain will become invisible when the viewer backs far enough away from the print to see the whole image.

Dave Summers
Nikonians Photo Contest Director
My Nikonians Gallery | Current Nikonians Contests

Click on image to view larger version

A general, generic topic D7100 graininess [View all] , MarkM10431 Silver Member , Thu 20-Jun-13 03:31 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D7100 graininess