Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Rassie

Milton, CA
4055 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: AF-S or AF-C?"

Rassie Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006
Wed 19-Jun-13 09:26 PM | edited Wed 19-Jun-13 09:38 PM by Rassie

Here's how I do it.
I have the AF-ON set to the AE-L/AF-L button, set on center-point, together with appropriate ISO and F/stop for my stationary bird pictures. This is saved into U1 user mode. In this mode the camera only focuses when I hit the AE-L/AF-L button. I only re-focus when the bird moves closer or farther away. Once focus is set it leaves me free to not have the shutter button attempting to re-focus every time I touch it or when I re-compose.

For fast-moving birds or animals, I set a somewhat higher ISO, preferred shutter speed or aperture and AF-C focus mode with dynamic autofocus. In this mode I leave the autofocus linked to the shutter button. This is saved into U2.

So I'll be using U1 for a stationary bird. If it should decide to take off I can switch the mode dial to U2 and keep shooting. Since the two user modes are directly adjacent to each other on the mode dial, all it takes is a small turn of one click to switch to the other user mode.

The reason I don't like AF-C on static subjects is that grasses, leaves or branches could be blown into and out of the picture and have the camera re-focus on that at the wrong moment. This especially happens on breezy days when the bird is among branches and foliage in a tree.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! AF-S or AF-C? [View all] , Rohinton_Mehta Silver Member , Wed 19-Jun-13 07:58 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: AF-S or AF-C?