Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

SDHC versus SDXC in D7100?

Mycenius

Auckland, NZ
335 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: SDHC versus SDXC in D7100?"

Mycenius Registered since 25th Feb 2006
Thu 20-Jun-13 08:21 PM | edited Thu 20-Jun-13 08:23 PM by Mycenius

Hey Bob,

>The important number for emptying the camera buffer is the
>WRITE speed of the SD card.

Yep exactly - BUT the issue is of course that the card manufacturers use different standards to determine those write speeds, so they aren't consistent from brand to brand... AND when you see 90Mb/s written on a card (e.g. SanDisk) it's the READ speed not the write AFAIK - the write is something less than that (e.g. if it says 90Mb/s the write speed might be 86Mb/s or might be actually only 70Mb/s - and that speed might be the maximum theoretical, or the overall average in their tests, or another value).

I believe SanDisk tend to rate their cards by theoretical maximum speeds, while Lexar are one of the companies that do it by sustained average rate over prolonged tests or such - hence why I think Lexars' can often show lower declared speeds than SanDisk for what looks like the same spec card...

...obviously the 90Mb/s card is still going to be, perhaps, twice as fast as a 45Mb/s one - but exactly what speed it is isn't truly known, and then of course you've got the effect of the hardware it's connected to (e.g. how fast & efficient is the camera, card reader, laptop, or whatever, it's stuck into)... A 90Mb/s card put into an older or slower device might not be able to transfer data any faster than a 45Mb/s card anyway, so the added cost of the faster card is wasted...

...hence my initial question about trying to determine just how fast (theoretically) the D7100 can transfer data from it's buffer to a card (i.e. is it faster than 45Mb/s to warrant a 90Mb/s card, if so is it capable of faster than 90Mb/s, etc)...

>I picked up the Extreme Pro SD (90 MB/s) and it makes a huge
>difference in the continuous shot mode.
>B&H sells them for approx $2 a Gig. Kind of expensive but
>I think worth it.

Yep - that's exactly what I'm looking at or the Lexar equivalent (but I've always been a SanDisk man myself).

Cheers, appreciate the input,

John
Kiwi Nikonian
D7100 | 11-16mm f/2.8 | 17-55mm f/2.8 | 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 | 50mm f/1.8 | 105mm f/2.8 Micro

This is a hot, active topic! SDHC versus SDXC in D7100? [View all] , Mycenius , Wed 19-Jun-13 05:06 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: SDHC versus SDXC in D7100?
Reply message Purchased SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s SDHC UHS-I
Reply message RE: Purchased SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s SDHC UHS-I
     Reply message RE: Purchased SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s SDHC UHS-I