Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

End of year school portraits and class group shoot..

BigBen636

IL
94 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: End of year school portraits and class group shoot.."

BigBen636 Registered since 28th Feb 2013
Mon 24-Jun-13 12:04 PM

This is a follow-up of how the shoot went.

I should have sent this early and excuse myself.
First of all I thank everyone for their advice.
I bought my first and until now the Nikon D200 a few months after it came out.
At the time I purchased a number of Nikon lenses and the SB-800.
Personally, I have always hated flashes. When I was a kid I must have burnt my fingertips changes flashbulbs.
Then I read there were some photographers that followed the “Available light school” of shooting photos.
Over the years have used the flash a couple of times and really never learnt to use.
Well, I decided I have to use it for fill-ins after reading your posts.
Got the flash ready and practiced on my wife and finally got it going.
Arrived early to get test shots.
Finally, the principal and the teachers got each class to come out one class at a time.
I was sitting on a chair and each kid sat on a stool in front of me.
The big moment arrived as I aimed my D7100with my 105 mounted on it with my flash.
Shot the photo and the SB-800 did not go off. It had worked the day before and even ½ and hour before.
Yes I had new batteries and even changed them on the stop with another set of five. Nada.
I came home and found a very small green corrosive spot on a the “Quick Recycling Battery Pack” that houses the fifth battery.
Don’t know for sure if that was the reason, but it was sure a SB-800 revenge for having it lie on the shelf for so many years
Conclusions;
You were all right that I needed flash to fill-ins. A few children complained about the sun in their eyes if though the sun was not directly in their eyes.
The principal, a warm person and loved by most of his students helped put a warm smile of their faces.
Luckily the shoot was still successful because of most of the kids enjoying themselves. Very true the photos do show some shadows and will I will definitely start learning to be comfortable with the flash.
I photographed about 45 students plus staff.
The principal told me he would like me to shoot 4 classes next year which would be about 200(+) students and staff.
Once again thank you all for your help.
Ben

A topic tagged as having a question End of year school portraits and class group shoot.. [View all] , BigBen636 , Wed 12-Jun-13 11:07 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: End of year school portraits and class group shoot....