Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

End of year school portraits and class group shoot..

Omaha

Omaha, US
566 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: End of year school portraits and class group shoot.."

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012
Thu 13-Jun-13 06:40 PM

Oh, Man! If you've got an SB-800, you've got it made! Unlike the built-in flash, it will be high enough away from the lens that the end of the lens won't cast a shadow. Its a perfect setup. One of the truly stand-out features of Nikon cameras is their absolute magic use of fill flash. You just about can't go wrong.

Seriously, even if you're not too familiar with it, try to take an hour this afternoon to familiarize yourself with the settings. It will be well worth it.

Here's what you do:

- Make sure your camera is set to matrix metering with "zero" exposure compensation. You set those by holding down the buttons immediately behind the shutter button while turning the rear control wheel.

- Mount up the SB-800.

- Press and hold the little "Flash" button that's on the front of the camera, on the left hand side (as you hold the camera that is).

- With the flash button held down, turn the front control wheel back and forth. You'll see the top display go from "+1" to "-3" (those are measured in "stops") in 1/3 stop increments. Personally, in a situation like yours I prefer to set the fill flash to "-.3" (ie, minus one-third stop).

- With the flash button still held down, turn the rear control wheel. You'll see the top display switch between "eyeball" and "rear". Personally, I always use "rear".

- Make sure the flash is set to "TTL" (stands for "through the lens") mode. I have an SB-700, which has a slider switch for that. I think the SB-800 has it in the menus.

That's it. Prepare yourself for portraits that just "POP"!

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

A topic tagged as having a question End of year school portraits and class group shoot.. [View all] , BigBen636 , Wed 12-Jun-13 11:07 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: End of year school portraits and class group shoot....