Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

anyone tried infrared filter with d7000?

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10646 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: anyone tried infrared filter with d7000?"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Wed 26-Sep-12 09:58 PM

The image looks good. I think what is taking place is the IR filter on the sensor of the D7000 is letting enough red spectrum come through to create a reasonable exposure. This may be a change from earlier models. While IR wavelengths are blocked almost completely, near IR in the red spectrum is permitted to pass. The red spectrum for visible light normally ends around 650nm, but you still get some red all the way to 780nm.

I'm not seeing the glowing IR effect on the trees, or the dark lightless skies, which suggests it is false IR or red spectrum.

There is nothing wrong with what you are doing. It makes for some very nice images, and by swapping channels you can work with color. Just enjoy it and have fun.

If you were to try a strong IR filter as in my test, you would see no visible spectrum and much longer exposures.

We have a separate IR forum and you can see the difference in some of the images posted there.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops - Smokies Oct 2012

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

A general, generic topic anyone tried infrared filter with d7000? [View all] , diogolp , Sat 04-Dec-10 04:54 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: anyone tried infrared filter with d7000?