Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

anyone tried infrared filter with d7000?

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10642 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: anyone tried infrared filter with d7000?"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Wed 26-Sep-12 02:52 PM

Okay - I just did some testing with my D7000. I used a strong IR filter - a B+W 87C filter which is around 810nm. I also tested using my converted D200 which has a Lifepixel Deep IR filter - approximately 810nm.

I used a Nikon 50mm f/1.4 lens.

The scene was a test landscape scene - 50% blue sky and 50% trees in full sun.

As a baseline, my converted D200 produced a correct exposure at 1/160 sec, f/8, and ISO 200.

My D7000 with no filter produced a correct exposure at 1/200 sec, f/8, ISO 200.

Using Manual Priority and the IS filter at an exposure of 1.3 seconds, f/8, and ISO 200 - the scene was nearly black.

Using Manual Priority, a timed bulb exposure of 60 seconds, f/8, and ISO 200, my scene was underexposed.

Using Manual Priority, a timed bulb exposure of 120 seconds, f/8, and ISO 200, my scene was appropriately exposed.

Now the scene could mean some variation, and a weaker filter would permit more visible light leakage, but it appears that the only way you get 2-4 second exposures is with a wide open aperture, increased ISO - maybe even Auto ISO, and probably some pretty severe light leakage from the visible spectrum.

The Deviantart link posted above in this thread shows a good bit of false IR - a little IR and a lot of leakage from the red end of the spectrum. A pure IR image would have much more contrast between the sky and sunlit grasses.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops - Smokies Oct 2012

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

A general, generic topic anyone tried infrared filter with d7000? [View all] , diogolp , Sat 04-Dec-10 04:54 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: anyone tried infrared filter with d7000?