Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Help with Long Exposure Shot

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7064 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Help with Long Exposure Shot"

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Mon 29-Apr-13 11:38 PM

>In the past, I've been >using a polarizing filter on my lens

I thought that might be the case. CP filters tend to eat about 2 stops of light, which would be very helpful for what you are attempting.

>As for ISO, I've been using 100, so I'll try going lower.

Since you are shooting at mid-day, "lo" might be the best option here.

Aperture mode or manual exposure is probably your best bet since you will need to set the aperture to very small without the camera overriding it. After that, the camera will recommend at shutter speed, which will be close to what you need to get the exposure right. If that speed is too fast for what you are looking for artistically, then filters will be needed to block out more light.

If filters are not available, give this a try if your long exposure is to get the milky water effect: set the multiple exposure settings to "on" (page 141 in the PDF manual). The resulting image will contained blurred water since it changes in each exposure while the rest of the static image is sharp. While I have not tried this, I have read articles of it working quite well in a pinch.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

A general, generic topic Help with Long Exposure Shot [View all] , mtwewerka , Mon 29-Apr-13 12:50 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Help with Long Exposure Shot