Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Auto Focus Confusion

gfinlayson

Maidenhead, UK
244 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Auto Focus Confusion"

gfinlayson Registered since 24th Jan 2011
Sat 06-Apr-13 07:30 PM | edited Sat 06-Apr-13 07:35 PM by gfinlayson

The most comprehensive explanation of Nikon autofocus modes I've ever read is here: http://www.pixelfinesse.com/_docs/D7000_AF_Explained.pdf

It's written for the D7000, but it's equally applicable to the D7100, the only difference being 51 rather than 39 focus points to choose from.

The D9 and D21 are the best modes for following aircraft or birds in flight. The fewer AF points in use, the less hard the AF system has to work. You can improve your keeper rate massively by practising following birds in flight. The more you practise, the better you get at keeping your subject within the relevant group of focus points. I'd recommend starting with D21, and then tightening down to D9 as your skill improves.

I'm currently perusing the D7100 manual whilst waiting on the postman ringing the doorbell to announce the arrival of mine.

In the meantime, I'm wringing the neck of my D7000's AF system chasing birds in flight.

Graeme

A general, generic topic Auto Focus Confusion [View all] , TomNJ Silver Member , Mon 01-Apr-13 07:57 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Auto Focus Confusion