Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

7100 : what to expect from packing 24 MP in a DX sensor

elec164

US
2575 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: 7100 : what to expect from packing 24 MP in a DX sensor"

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009
Wed 06-Mar-13 01:31 PM

>As usual apologies in advance if I am talking rubbish.

Not rubbish at all, but perhaps some might view my reply as such!

>benefit of the sensor would require the use of Nikon's
>professional lenses. If this is true does the increase to
>24mp make this even more relevant?

Short answer, sort of. Long answer, the dirty little secret they don't tell you.

The D7100 has a pixel density of around 3.9 microns. System resolution is usually expressed in lp/mm (line pairs per millimeter). If I calculated correctly the pixel pitch would work out to about 128 LP/mm. For 35mm format the resolution of the average consumer zoom is about 60 to 80 lp/mm with excellent lenses at about 100 to 120 lp/mm. So yes to take full advantage of the 24MP, you need the best lenses.

But there's another wrinkle, diffraction. To get the most out of the 24MP, you'll need to shoot at fairly wide apertures. If we assume twice the density for resolving detail, then the D7100 would become diffraction limited approximatly above f/6.3 and the D7000 at above f/8.

>then why put large sensors on on cameras lower down the range
>which are beginner/improver models?

There is a number of reasons why. One is to improve noise performance. I believe sensor technology used in the D7100 is fairly mature ( there is a new technology in the wings though that might increase sensor performance). So while the higher pixel density of the D7100 probably makes individual pixel performance a bit worse than the D7000, the pixels are smaller and less offensive in the print. Also if you down sample the 24 MP to 16 MP you average out the noise and the D7100 will provide better image quality then the D7000.

At least I think I got that all worked out correctly!

Pete

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! 7100 : what to expect from packing 24 MP in a DX sensor [View all] , claude_dumas Silver Member , Sat 02-Mar-13 03:58 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: 7100 : what to expect from packing 24 MP in a DX se...
                              Reply message There's a diffraction calculator for printing here:
                                   Reply message RE: There's a diffraction calculator for printing here:
                                        Reply message My understanding is...
                                             Reply message RE: My understanding is...