Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

7100 : what to expect from packing 24 MP in a DX sensor

JPJ

Toronto, CA
1327 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: 7100 : what to expect from packing 24 MP in a DX sensor"

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009
Mon 04-Mar-13 04:21 AM

It is remarkable if Nikon just manages to achieve the D7000 ISO performance at 24 MPs. Personally I think the well is likely tapped for ISO performance on DX by and large. The reality is that the sensor size is likely at the point of bottlenecking substantial upgrades.

I would note some caution in using DXOmark's measures respecting ISO performance. DXO bases their score on "the highest ISO setting for a camera that allows it to achieve an SNR of 30dB while keeping a good dynamic range of 9 EVs and a color depth of 18bits".

Some have suggested this methodology is flawed as the numbers are fairly arbitrary. Note what is does not take into account, how higher ISO photos look. What happens when you try and recover detail from the shadows, etc.

I personally don't find that either the D3200 or D5200 have in actual fact, better ISO performance than the D7000.

That being said they did manage to squeeze around 2/3rds of a stop between the d90/300s and the d7000 so we'll see.

Jason

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! 7100 : what to expect from packing 24 MP in a DX sensor [View all] , claude_dumas Silver Member , Sat 02-Mar-13 03:58 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: 7100 : what to expect from packing 24 MP in a DX se...
                              Reply message There's a diffraction calculator for printing here:
                                   Reply message RE: There's a diffraction calculator for printing here:
                                        Reply message My understanding is...
                                             Reply message RE: My understanding is...