Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Soft Focus - How About A Standardized Test ?

This topic is locked. This message is locked.
Chris Platt

Newburg, US
481 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Soft Focus - How About A Standardized Test ?"

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012
Thu 07-Feb-13 06:06 PM

Honestly, I think a calibrated test for you at this point would be premature.

The image you shared and the problem it revealed have nothing to do with artistic skill or nuanced creative understanding of the many D7000 control options available. It had nothing to do with any of the reported soft focus concerns of the D7000.

The image demonstrates a predictable result of the optical physics in play and the camera settings you selected. As an engineer, you should be able to understand that you could know, in advance, exactly what parts of that image would be in focus and which would not by applying this formula:

Near Point in focus = (D x H2)/(H+D-F)

Far point in focus = (D x H2)/(H+F-D) (if this expression is negative, then infinity is the far point in focus)

Where H is the hyperfocal distance
D is the distance at which the lens is focused
and F is the focal length of the lens

(Thanks to BobAtkins.com)

I love Nikonians because of the patient, collegial nature of the community. But honestly, you have turned a deaf ear to the many and very consistent explanations and remedies for your image. If you don't understand what has been explained here about depth of field, softness comparison images would not be helpful for you.

The following statements are evidence of your right brain speaking, not the engineer in your left brain:

"There are so many menu screens in a D7000, I am intimidated. I have a hard time remembering not to use f1.8."

"The intent of my original question was to understand how to obtain sharp photographs."

"I selected a photograph of mine that is an EXAMPLE of why it is difficult to understand focus."

"I am totally baffled by the camera menu settings."

">To which camera menu settings are you referring?
That, exactly, is my question, I understand the tripod! LOL"

"I doubt few on this site have read as many pages about the D7000 and related cameras and accessories as I have."

"Twiddling with the menus' on the D7000 scares me to death!!"

"Trust me, I am well read."

"This lens, blah, blah,blah,
that book, blah, blah,blah,
that pic, blah, blah,blah,
his opinion, blah, blah,blah,"

We are here to help, but you need to listen.

Visit my gallery.

This is a hot topic  It has been locked by a team member Soft Focus - How About A Standardized Test ? [View all] , SweetMK , Sun 03-Feb-13 11:53 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Soft Focus - How About A Standardized Test ?