Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What to do? Bad lens? Bad D7000 body?

Rassie

Milton, CA
4038 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: What to do? Bad lens? Bad D7000 body?"

Rassie Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006
Thu 31-Jan-13 12:35 PM

Looks like your body has back-focus problems. Not all lenses are the same, so even if the auto-focus on the body works perfectly, the variances in the lenses may make for better focus on one lens, and worse focus with another lens - all on the same body.

I have two lenses, the Nikkor 18-200 mm VR and the Sigma 150-500 mm. Both worked perfectly on my D90. When I got the D7000, suddenly I had soft focus with both lenses. I did some trials with a focus chart and even fine-tuning the auto-focus to -20 I was still getting back-focus.

I took the camera and the Nikkor lens to a Nikon repair center and they adjusted the auto-focus. I still had to fine-tune the auto-focus afterwards, but now both lenses focus very well with a -17 auto-focus fine-tune setting. Speaking to the repair tech afterwards he told me as long as one can get good auto-focus within the -20 / +20 fine-tune allowance then the camera is considered to be within specification.

I suggest you take the body with all Nikon lenses to a repair facility and have them fix it. They need the lenses as well in order to calibrate both body and lens together. You can Google and print a focus test chart if you want to run your own trials, but I feel confident from looking at your pictures that a trip to the repair center is indicated. The fact that the focus in your pictures progressively improves the more negative fine-tuning is dialled in proves it to me.

regards

My Nikonians gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! What to do? Bad lens? Bad D7000 body? [View all] , Omaha , Thu 31-Jan-13 01:31 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: What to do? Bad lens? Bad D7000 body?