Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
dm1dave

Lowden, US
13762 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Histogram"

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006
Tue 29-Jan-13 01:01 AM

Hi Bill,

I updated your post above to add the histograms for the two images.

In this case I would not worry about the histogram being pushed to the left. These are indoor shots using flash so the backgrounds are going to be dark. Your subjects are properly exposed and nothing important is lost in the shadows.

In fact lookin at the on the right side, if you had exposed brighter you may have lost some highlights. The dynamic rage of the light is greater than the camera can record. In this case it is better to sacrifice the shadows.

The right side of the histogram is usually more important than the left side. If you overexpose, histogram bumped up against the right side, there is little room for recovering those lost highlights. The shadow detail is more easily recovered, especially at low ISO.

When you have a scene like this, that has a dark background, you can use active D-Lighting to help bring up the brightness without overexposing the highlights.

Dave Summers
Nikonians Photo Contest Director
My Nikonians Gallery | Current Nikonians Contests

Click on image to view larger version

A general, generic topic Histogram [View all] , bill unger , Mon 28-Jan-13 03:30 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Histogram