Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Problem programming AE-L/AF-L button

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Problem programming AE-L/AF-L button"

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Sat 19-Jan-13 08:28 AM

AF-On is very useful for most subjects but using AF-C focusing mode eliminates the AF assist light from firing. Other than that, everything gets easier to control using the AE/AF-L button as AF-On.
I add one more step which is changing the function of Fn to AE-L. That way, I can control AF plus AE locking with thumb and middle finger without moving my index finger on the shutter release. AE-L is essential when recomposing to maintain the metering value initially read. It makes spot metering quite a bit more useful. This is even more important with FX due to the concentration of FPs in the center of the frame means more situations were you need to meter, focus and lock to recompose instead of relying on focus points that do not cover much of the frame.
I find the AE-L button(Fn)on the front of the camera more natural of a button location than on the back, needing more of a stretch for the thumb to activate it. It is central to the grip area so is just as easy to reach in horizontal as vertical orientation.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Problem programming AE-L/AF-L button [View all] , Steve6344 Gold Member , Fri 18-Jan-13 05:43 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Problem programming AE-L/AF-L button