Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Usefulness of AutoGain feature on Multiple Exposure??

elec164

US
2578 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Usefulness of AutoGain feature on Multiple Exposure??"

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009
Thu 17-Jan-13 04:59 PM

>-- and I think this is what Brian is driving at -- is whether
>the SNR will be reduced more by taking three high-ISO shots
>and merging them compared to taking one low-ISO shot, albeit
>at a longer exposure.

I think it depends on what the Gain in “AutoGain” means.

You are taking it to mean ISO or A/D amplification where it could mean a setting in post capture processing.

For example I shot these test images at base ISO of 100 (the D7000 has no Lo ISO settings).

This is single capture.

Click on image to view larger version

This is a three shot multiple exposure with AutoGain enabled.

Click on image to view larger version

They are NEF's using LR3 for conversion, using the Auto button (there was an apparent difference in exposure between the two) and a 71 sharpening setting only. Then I handed off to PS for cropping to 100% and saving.

To me there is significant difference in the darker background.

This technique has been used in Astrophotography for some time to improve overall image quality. The only limitation I see with the in camera process is that you are limited to only 2 or 3 shots. In Astrophotography they might often use 10 to 30 exposures (or more).

Pete

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Usefulness of AutoGain feature on Multiple Exposure?? [View all] , Bravozulu , Tue 15-Jan-13 06:29 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Usefulness of AutoGain feature on Multiple Exposure...