Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Usefulness of AutoGain feature on Multiple Exposure??

blw

Richmond, US
28708 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Usefulness of AutoGain feature on Multiple Exposure??"

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Wed 16-Jan-13 11:28 PM | edited Wed 16-Jan-13 11:44 PM by blw

> But why use multiple exposures in the first place? I don't want to be Man Ray with his photo collages.

There's more than one way to use multiple exposures.

Click on image to view larger version

Yes, it is possible to do this in post. One reason I do some of these this way, frankly, is that I'm tired of the criticism I sometimes get for "non-photography." So for things like this, I sometimes do it in-camera. Honestly, it's really a terrible reason. I should just do it the way that's best, and forget what other people say. In these three cases, it's probably just as good or possibly even better to do it in the field with the camera. I'd say it's better to do it in-camera since one can easily judge the result in the field and reshoot. Each of these is one of a number of attempts - usually four or five at a time - and they're not exactly precision craft. This is particularly true of stuff like #2 which might be emphasizing things like flowers blowing in the wind.

> I thought it was a remedy for high noise when shooting in dark places.

You could do that, although it's better to do it with some other software, which assumes that the images are supposed to be equal, thus eliminating noise - which would be different in every exposure. Sort of like the Fuji x10/x20 do.

The difference between that and your proposal is that you're assuming a tripod, but frankly if you can do that, you can probably just expose it properly in the first place.
Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

A general, generic topic Usefulness of AutoGain feature on Multiple Exposure?? [View all] , Bravozulu , Tue 15-Jan-13 06:29 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Usefulness of AutoGain feature on Multiple Exposure...