Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Dynamic area AF versus 3D tracking

kuzzy

Milford, US
1301 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Dynamic area AF versus 3D tracking"

kuzzy Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2005
Fri 11-Jan-13 10:55 PM

Graham, I would stay away from both of those shooting sports. As Dave pointed out 3D uses color so on a football or soccer field the AF system can be distracted by the same color (think another player in the same uniform) moving within the frame. 21pt dynamic is usually a little too large an area as well and sometimes the camera will pick out the wrong player to focus on. That can still happen in 9pt dynamic but is less likely than when using 21 pts. Most of the people in the sports forum use single point for football and soccer as well. After much experimentation with all of those settings they have found those two settings (single point & 9 point dynamic) best (with AF-C). Personally I use single point the vast majority of the time.

Here is a link to some af setting tips for sports for the D4. You can use these as a guide.
http://nps.nikonimaging.com/technical_solutions/d4_tips/settings_by_subject/

There is quite a good deal of information about autofocus at this link and although some of the info only pertains to the D4 and its AF settings the D7000 shares many of the same settings and as such much of the information on these pages is helpful.

You may also find it helpful to review some of the posts in the sports forum as most people include their settings when they post images. Good luck.

Marc
There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.-Ansel Adams

http://500px.com/WhatISaw
http://kuzzy.smugmug.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Dynamic area AF versus 3D tracking [View all] , Nikon32250 Silver Member , Fri 11-Jan-13 01:40 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Dynamic area AF versus 3D tracking