Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

New to DSLR got D7000 for Xmas need help

kuzzy

Milford, US
1303 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: New to DSLR got D7000 for Xmas need help"

kuzzy Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2005
Sat 12-Jan-13 12:38 AM

Welcome aboard and good luck with you new camera. I have a couple of suggestions for you. 1.) Take out the camera and take lots of pictures trying the different modes of the camera (auto,P,S,A save M for later). You can even try the different scene modes. This will help you get a feel for the camera and the images it produces in various situations. 2.) Read, read, read, here at nikonians (if you are interested in a particular type of photography, say landscapes, be sure to go to that forum here and read and ask questions) and the books that have been suggested to you. 3.) Take a class at a local school, adult ed programs often have these for relatively low fees, taught by an "expert/professional". Concentrate on the basics of photography, once you know the fundamentals of exposure for example, the buttons and features almost become self explanatory. Without understanding exposure the manual and much of the information you read about here will all be in a foreign language.

I have found it easiest to try and "master" or at least become somewhat proficient in one area, landscapes, portraits, action, etc. before trying to learn another area.

Give yourself a break, I mean do not be hard on yourself if it takes some serious amount of time, maybe a year and 20 or 30 thousand images before you really start to feel comfortable or reasonably proficient. Maybe you will catch on quickly and will not need nearly that much time but if it does take you that long or longer do not get discouraged.

Good luck.

Marc
There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.-Ansel Adams

http://500px.com/WhatISaw
http://kuzzy.smugmug.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic New to DSLR got D7000 for Xmas need help [View all] , Artilleryman33 , Mon 31-Dec-12 09:49 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: New to DSLR got D7000 for Xmas need help